15 June 2009

Trip to the Dr turned into a 3 1/2 hour event

Last Sunday I had some pain in my back right side but I thought it was just from working in the yard and getting old. It was so bad I couldn't walk but I laid on the couch, took some ibuprofin and an hour later I was fine.

Fast forward one week to yesterday. Last night I got out of bed around 10:30 to use the bathroom and on my way back to bed I said to Kevin "My back is starting to hurt like it did last Sunday."

It went from bad to worse and pretty soon I was crying and laying on the chaise lounge, the couch, the floor. I wanted to throw up and the ibuprofin and tylenol did nothing. At 1 am we raided the medicine cabinet but came up empty handed. I thought for sure we had some percocet or something leftover from my c-sections. I contemplated going to the ER but didn't think I could make the car ride there since I was having so much trouble getting comfortable. I contemplated dropping the kids off at Sam and Candi's on the way. Kevin made me a huge ice pack and at some point after 1:30 I fell asleep on the couch.

I woke up at 4:30 with Sonar circling me because a thunderstorm blew in and he now freaks out when there is thunder and lightening. I locked him up front and realized I pretty much felt fine. It was just a dull ache in my back now.

I got ready to go to work and Kevin mentioned that maybe I should call my dr. On my way to work I called and they could get me in right away so I just drove there. She did a urine culture and said she thought I had a kidney stone and I need a CT scan. My dr's office is connected to the hospital so I walked across to Radiology.

I waited 2 1/2 hours to have the CT done. I watched the Price is Right with Drew Carey and listened to the conversations of the 70-ish crowd talk about how they thought he'd gained weight since he started the show but he has been a good replacement to Bob Barker. Then we watched the entire Obama address to the physicians about the healthcare revamp and I got to listen to them mutter under their breath about how they wouldn't be here in 20 years bla bla bla.

Apparently there are 2 CT machines in radiology there but they got backed up because the others "weren't going well." something about a biopsy. I dunno. I just know it took forever. I watched them deliver a stack of pizzas and leave and wanted to ask if I could just have a slice. All I'd had was a mocha and it was now 12:15.

Finally it was done and I got the results about an hour later. Two or three small stones on my left side - which isn't even bothering me right now. And a big one on my right side - 7mm x 3.5mm. I have an appointment with a urologist tomorrow morning to find out what they will do. I'm hoping tonight is less eventful than last night.

And I'm hoping this is all resolved soon. We kick off a big project that I'm very excited about this week and I'm already missing the meeting with the CEO tomorrow. They have a team flying in on Thursday for some all-day meetings I don't want to miss.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh! I hope it all goes well!